Step 4: Optimizing the Team Onboarding Process
Before the first day set up goals, paperwork, and digital and physical space so you can hit the GO button on your new person.
- Send Paperwork ie. W4’s, 1099’s, Direct deposit (or how they will get paid)
- Set up workstation (physical or virtual)
- Set up systems – credentials, password access and tech set up
- Prepare any training materials for first day
Ramp-up Quickly: Day 1 → Week 1
Day 1 sets the tone for the the job. Acclimate them fast:
- Introduce them to team members
- Provide business overviews
- Give them a tour to resources and training
- Review and identify glitches with paperwork and systems setups
- Set-up feedback, meetings and review times
- Review assignments and tracking of tasks and projects
Goal Setting: Set expectations and goals for deadlines
Define the metrics that let you know work is being completed and moving your business forward.
- What are their goals for the quarter?
- What are their goals for the month?
- Weekly goals?
- How do you course correct if work is going in the wrong direction?
Training: There’s a tradeoff between how much you pay for a position and how much you train. Training allows you to reduce costs, build good habits for your business, get rid of old bad habits and increase productivity #WinWin
- What kind-of training will they have access to – shadowing other team members, videos, manuals?
- How will they find the resources they need?
- Note: You can reduce handholding by document answers to frequently asked questions
- Scale your training by eliminating 1-1 training (or training via osmosis)
Make sure you complete this step before moving on.
And if you’d like some help, drop us a line!
Want Proven PowerTools to Get Your Agency
Out of the Weeds & Scale Up, Faster?
Get instant access to tested resources for reliably and rapidly scaling your business —
including proven powertools to vastly improve Sales, Onboarding, Hiring and more…