Our defaults, our patterns of behavior are systematic.
They are molded by our beliefs.
The collection of habits and behaviors create our processes.
Those processes build the infrastructures that now become the system.
➡ automated/systematic actions
➡ systemic behaviors/processes
➡ the infrastructure that is the system
Okay, that was a mouthful.
Let’s get a little less abstract.
- Jada Doe values keeping mother nature happy. (beliefs)
- She creates personal habits that reflect this and ripples to all parts of her life. (systematic actions)
- JD has a paperless business with all green practices based on her values and beliefs that hires and produces eco-friendly people and products. (systemic processes)
- Eco-friendly sustainability becomes the default state of practices and outcomes based on the infrastructure Jada has created. (her system)
Jada has ensured that every input to every process of her operation is sustainable and therefore all outputs are designed to lower the carbon footprint.
This is why when building a system, I tell my clients to ALWAYS cross-reference your values and beliefs with your decisions, because:
Culture is created by design or by default
Either way, it will get created systematically
Systemic Racism refers to HOW society operates: the system disproportionately harms people of certain races regardless of whether there are racists in the system or not.
When the default practices formed by conscious and unconscious racial bias create our social infrastructure, it allows for a system that leads to:
- voter suppression
- unequal school/ employment housing
- lack of any true wealth creation practices
- million-dollar blocks
- school to prison pipelines that makes me want to cry
- list goes on…& on…
That is our system
When something is wrong with the output.
Then something is wrong with the system.
Then you know,
IT’S TIME TO REDESIGN